Background : You run the windows updates and it keeps failing or you end up rebooting and the updates shows up on the start button again.
Reasoning : The last bunch of updates ran into issues due to previous pending updates or the cache isn’t cleared of the earlier broken updates.
Fixes: I suggest the following that you clear the cache following the steps below
Note : For some of the steps below, is best you login to the safe mode, if you cannot access the following folders or service access is denied.
Step 1: STOP the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
2. In Services control panel locate the “Windows Update” service.
3. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Stop“.
Step 2: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows folder.
2. Find and Delete the “SoftwareDistribution” folder (or rename it. e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) . *
* Note: If you cannot delete or rename the folder, start Windows in Safe Mode.
Step 3: START the Windows Update Service.
1. Open Windows Services control panel.
2. Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Start“.
Step 4. Run the System File checker.
Go to Start >Type CMD, select run as administrator
Run the “SFC /Scannow” as shown below and hit enter for it to finish.
Process can take sometime to complete :
Reboot your windows 10 device on completion.
Windows Resource Protection(WRP) will give you a message for any errors found or a confirmation, it did not find any integrity violations.
Step 5. Check & Install Updates.
1. Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> and click Check for Updates.
In most cases, the above fixes all your most update issues.